Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Window shopping in Paris part 1

Shopping in Paris, well, is like an abundant feast for the senses.  It's no secret, I'm a shopping junkie.  I have loved shopping since I don't know when.  I went straight into professional buying after college for The Gap and have not slowed down since.  They have pretty big checkbooks at The Gap.  It was fun!  My husband is a pretty good sport about shopping in Paris.  He can get excited (he's going to cringe at that statement) about the eclectic mix of things to buy in Paris.  His tastes lean towards music, history, alcohol, and food.  Mine are all about color.  I cannot resist a Parisan shop window full of color.  I was looking at the pictures I took on our last trip to Paris without the kids and all of them have some sort of color arrangement that make the goods on display straddle the line between something to buy and something to eat.  It's inspiring. 

While my husband is a good sport, I'm often found short on time.  I could linger for hours.  Evan is good for 1-2, at most.  While here last spring, we wandered through the Montmatre area near Sacre Coeur Basilica.  The hilly area of town.  Great shopping, great cafes, and wonderful artists & musicians everywhere.  Upon returning home, we realized the photo we took of Le Consulat cafe was not so original.  Turns out, it's kind of like pictures of the Eiffel Tower.  Oh well, it inspired us, as much of Paris does. 


So back to shopping.  I've become obsessed with finding delicious shades of lipstick while I'm in Paris.  The women in Paris have show-stopping colors they wear.  I stopped into this vintage perfumerie shoppe and saw this whole book devoted to Lip Color.  

While there I picked up an adorable art deco-style perfume atomizer for Mom.  Evan had gotten one for me on a previous business trip from the famous macaroon and confectionery shop, Laduree.  It was a vanilla scent inside this sweet lilac-colored perfume bottle with a squeeze balloon thing to spray yourself with the perfume.  I feel like Betty from Mad Men every time I use it.

We walked further down the street and stopped by to pick up a business card from this playful lighting place.  I was imagining what my daughter Maggie's room would look like with these hanging down from the ceiling. 

Deeper into the heart of Montmatre we came upon what I would describe as the "Haight-Ashbury" area.  Eclectic shops selling things I love looking at but wouldn't have a need for.

I wish we had more stores like this near us.  I love the deer in this one.  It's very kitchy.

Yesterday while walking through the more upscale area of Saint-Germaine des Pres I had to take a double take at these windows.  A rainbow of ladies gloves.  It reminded me of the Steve Martin book, Shop Girl.  I wonder if they sell a lot of gloves?  I'm tempted...

Then, of course, you have to talk about the street vendors.  We took this shot for the kids because it's not often you can get your Moulin Rouge on AND buy some fresh cotton candy!

Shops selling colored threads...so delicious, it makes me want to buy it and learn how to do something with it!

Evan stood, mouth agape, at the "Gin, Vodka & Eaux de Vie" shop window. 

I haven't even gotten to the haute couture stores...we cruised into Hermes like we belonged there.  We were rubbing elbows with the ladies with Rolls Royces idling out front of the store.  It is a sight to behold.  YSL, Chanel, Dior...all beautiful.  It was crazy when we were here in March because it was Paris Fashion Week and it was also the time when legendary fashion visionary John Galliano had a tragic public meltdown.  As we walked by the windows at Dior, I marveled at the fabric choices and the beautiful accessories.  Wow!  Evan's colleague had recommended checking out La Perla, site of the infamous Galliano meltdown, so we stopped in to have a drink.  It's sick, I know.  If you are a fashion junkie like I am, you'd understand.  

1 comment:

Kim K. said...

Sounds like a wonderful day!! I love the threads too, but also have no idea what to do with them.
You're teaching Maggie right!!
XO